Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Paul (2011)

Paul (2011)


 Graeme Willy (Simon Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Nick Frost) are two British chaps that have come to America to tour all of our great American extraterrestrial sites like: Area 51, Roswell... Their trip's launching pad is one of the greatest known extraterrestrial sites known to mankind Comi-Con International (comic book and popular arts convention)! They set on their course through the American Southwest in their rented R.V. and what do they eventually run across but an extraterrestrial who gets in a car accident ahead of them; I know it's a stereotype but beings from other planets really cannot drive very well. Where else would an E.T. show up but in the hot spot of the E.T. world? They reluctantly decide take Paul in; why wouldn't you take and extraterrestrial in when you're touring E.T. sites?. Soon they are being chased by federal agent (a man in black) Lorenzo Zoil (Jason Bateman) and two bumbling FBI agents Zoil uses as back-up (played by Bill Hader and Joe Lo Truglio). The RV trio end up hiding out in an RV park and meeting Creationist Christian Ruth Buggs (Kristin Wiig). Buggs ends up joining the fugitives of the "law" though she doesn't immediately know about Paul who would make her question everything one of her foundation beliefs.

I am a nostalgia-guy and a trivia-guy so I always like when films throw in references to prior films. The two main characters in Paul, other than Paul himself (voiced by Seth Rogen) are the two main characters (actors) from a movie I really liked, Shaun of the Dead. That really started me thinking so

I IMDB'd most of the main actors in the film and just about everyone has appeared in at least one supernatural-type movie and/or television show.

The movie was fun from start to finish but it is not your typical buddy-film (is there a typical buddy film anymore?). Obviously, the film is just fun and don't expect too much cinematic Citizen Kanemanship but it will make you laugh unless you are easily offended by language or are overly religious because this certainly questions organized religion. I imagine if you're overly religious you won't go to see and R-rated film about an extraterrestrial anyway.

I am not giving stars any more but I am saying Paul (trailer) is a "watch it." I laughed most of the time while watching it. I think I want to see it again because I am certain that I missed some hidden "easter egg" references.

No comments:

Post a Comment